On behalf of our co-sponsors, Nikkei and the Government of Japan, I would like to invite you to join us in the 2nd webinar of season 3 in our long-running Asia Undercurrent webinar series, entitled “The Road to a Sustainable Energy Future: Exploring current policies and future developments in Japan, Asia and beyond”
If you are interested in participating, please register at the link below:
Stable, reliable and accessible energy—a reality that touches every facet of business and our daily lives. However, despite the importance of energy to the world at large, growing geopolitical tensions has made it harder for economies, especially fast-growing ones like in Asia, to pursue their sustainable energy needs. Japan and the wider Asia region are no exception to this.
As one of the region’s leading economies and energy consumers, Japan has been active in developing energy policy both domestically and for the region as a whole. Japan has announced an ambitious zero emission by 2050 target domestically. It has, at the same time, launched comprehensive initiatives like the Asia Energy Transition Initiative (AETI) and Asia Zero Emission Community (AZEC), with the realization that there is no one “best solution” for such a diverse and dynamic region. As Asia and the Indo-Pacific make up such a vital part of the global economy, success of cooperation, policies and developments is a must for global prosperity.
While much of Asia’s strength lies in its diversity, questions remain about how countries can work together to promote energy security and a more sustainable future, especially considering the challenges posed by the current crisis in Ukraine. How effectively is Japan assisting countries in the region in terms of energy security, technology and financial support? Moreover, how does Japan and its partners realize economic growth while aiming for a more sustainable future?
This webinar will include debate as well as Q&A from the audience.
The webinar date and times are as follows:
Date: Wednesday, July 26, 2023
Time (75 minutes):
Our expert participants include:
- Sherri Goodman (Senior Fellow at the Wilson Center’s Environmental Change and Security Program and Polar Institute, and Secretary General of the International Military Council on Climate & Security)
- Dr. David C. Broadstock (Senior Research Fellow & Head, Energy Economics Division, Energy Studies Institute, National University of Singapore)
- Dr. Siti Indati Mustapa (Deputy Dean (Research and Innovation), UNITEN Business School and Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Energy Policy and Research Universiti Tenaga Nasional (The Energy University))
- Tatsuya Terazawa (Chairman and CEO of The Institute of Energy Economics, Japan)
- Dr. Jeffrey Wilson (Director of Research and Economics, Australian Industry Group)
To learn more about the series or pre-register, please see the link below:
If you are interested in viewing our past sessions, you can find them in our archive at the link below:
Finally, if you are an active social media user, please check out our Twitter and we welcome all shares and engagement:
Thank you in advance for your consideration and we hope you can join us on the day of the event!